Friday, August 12, 2011

Not a good fit.

Well, I didn't get the job at the swank restaurant in Newport. Ugh.  Back to the drawing board.

They called me this morning and left a message to tell me I wasn't a good fit for them.  Ha.  They kept claiming all night that since their service is impeccable, it takes a certain type of person to work there.  First of all- I don't know where they got the idea that their service is impeccable.  I've been in and out of the restaurant industry for 7 years...I know impeccable service when I see it.  It wasn't there; sorry- but it wasn't.  I've given impeccable service- this place was mediocre at best.  I even looked on Yelp before I went in to do that shift and after 140 something comments- the majority of customers agreed that the service gets like- 3 out of 5 stars if that.  That's NOT IMPECCABLE FOLKS.  I know California service sucks so they probably THINK they give great service compared to other restaurants around here- but I know good service and I didn't really see anything stellar last night.

Then there was the issue of me shadowing a girl with an attitude.  I don't know what I did- or if it was even me- but she was bitching all night about the host staff and how they don't know how to seat people, and even her customers.  When we passed one of her tables, a guest grabbed my arm and asked where her ice cream was.  I told the server, who got all upset and started bitching that it's on it's way soon enough and they need to calm down- and they better watch it because they were starting to irritate her.  Okayyyy.  I have no idea why it was so irritating to her but whatever.  I asked her- is it because they've been here for so long?  They were like- 85 years old!  Of course they are going to take their time with dinner!  She said that wasn't it.  I asked if it was because they were "high maintenance" (which I didn't think they were but I couldn't figure out why else she would be irritated) and she said yes, that was it, but I wasn't convinced.  She freaked out about 5 minutes later and asked that I shadow someone else; so I'm guessing that when the manager asked her how it was to have me follow her- her reviews weren't stellar because she was irritated.  Maybe I shouldn't have told her that her guests were asking where their food was?  I'm not sure.  Oh well.  All I can say to myself over and over is that it's okay- it wasn't meant to be and I'll find something else.  I'll find a restaurant where I can work and not be stressed out constantly about the mediocre impeccable service.  I think that was the other issue; no matter how many times they asked me if it was overwhelming me yet- I kept saying no.  BECAUSE IT WASN'T OVERWHELMING.  The servers only have 3 tables per section; yes there are a ton of things to do, especially because they are trying to give good service.  But it just wasn't anything that I didn't think I could handle- maybe I should've pulled more of my hair out.  Again- oh well.

So yeah, back to the job board.  Fingers crossed!

XO-

D

2 comments:

  1. Ack - sounds like you dodged a bullet. If they listen to a review from a crotchhead like that - then you don't want to work there. Their loss. Soon enough - they'll realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think about how "fun" it would be to work there. Aren'tcha glad you won't be? I'm glad for you, Diz. You can do better than that, and you WILL!

    You're not good at giving up, and I love that about you. There's so much new stuff to find in the world, I can't wait to see what the future holds for you!

    <3

    ReplyDelete