Friday, August 26, 2011

Does Beauty = Power?

So today was another good day.

One of my best friends who lives in LA called to let me know that she might have a potential job for me.  My roommate also referred me to her recruiter who has helped place her in the past in prestigious companies, and I was able to get some things done that have really needed to get done.  I'm feeling a little hopeful again for the first time in awhile.  

So today I was having a discussion with one of my clients at work and I want your thoughts on this...

He went off today in the massage about women who are attractive and know they are attractive...how he hates that they use their looks to get what they want.  I know this comment was partially directed at me; I say partially because in that moment I was explaining to him that I love being in my 30's because I can date men who are older and men who are younger than me.  He is 16 years older than me and has made it clear that he would be interested if I was/am.  I am not- nor will I ever be...not only because he is my client, but also because I'm just not.  Anyway, I was saying that even though I did this (dated younger and older guys) in my 20's too, I am older now and know myself better so I am more confident than I was in my 20's, and therefore get better results than I did in my 20's (even though I had age on my side in my 20's).  He was immediately disgusted- but I didn't feel like I was admitting I'm a hot tamale...I felt like I was saying- CONFIDENCE is the key- not looks.  But it got me thinking...while I totally don't feel that I have ever been cute enough to do this (use my looks to get what I want), I don't really see anything wrong with it- as long as you're not hurting anyone.  Am I wrong?  Is it wrong to use your looks to get a better deal, or get a job, or whatever, or should you stick strictly to brain power, chemistry, charm, confidence, intelligence (whatever)?  I need some input here folks!  He was super fired up- but I wasn't saying what he thought I was saying.  I have been turned down many a time by men who weren't 'falling for it' when I did try to use my looks, so is it a 'fault' if someone does fall for it?

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!!

xo- 

D

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote the above comment just for your eyes. I'm assuming it went into your email.

    Really, Diz. You have so much to offer. Don't sell yourself short.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what the guy was talking about was arrogance, not confidence.

    Looks do play a part in this life. I wish it didn't, but it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diz I work in a mainly all male work environment and yes I agree if the other party lets you use your assents then there is nothing wrong with it. And in reality when you go for an interview looks do play a role. I don't care what anyone says. And as for the man, well if you we to agree to being with him I bet my last quarter that he wouldn't have any problem with your looks being to his benefit. Just saying

    ReplyDelete