Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Results are In...

Well, I went and got "tested".

Surprise surprise...I only have one food allergy.  Guess which one it is.  No, not dairy.  No, not gluten.  Cane Sugar.  Cane friggin sugar.  Of course.  She called it my nemesis; and she had no idea how right on she was.  Did I ever mention that sugar is the one thing I'm addicted to?  ARRRRGGGHHH!  On a scale where 10 is normal, I am at a level 50, currently, and I haven't even had any sugar for a few days!  My body retains fluid and swells up when I eat sugar...which makes perfect sense to me.  How many times have I literally eaten dessert with or for dinner and then complained the next day that I gained two pounds?  Because of the fluid.  Remember when I went sugar free for 90 days and everyone thought I lost like- 15 pounds and really I lost 8?  Yeah...all fluid.  It makes sense to me.  The good news is- I am not allergic to natural sugars, and only slightly allergic to honey.  It's CANE SUGAR...one of my loves. :(  Of course.

She also found that my thyroid is really weak.  That didn't surprise me; I have been taking thyroid medication for 12 years now.  It's causing my metabolism to be sluggish, and combined with the sugar allergy- I've been pretty much at a stand still.  It's such a relief to at least know why I've been struggling so hard to lose these last few pounds.  For my thyroid, she recommended some herbal supplements that will help strengthen it and also strengthen my stomach and liver too, since those two organs seem to be secondary behind my thyroid in weakness.  She suspects that they are weak because my thyroid is tired and weak.

She laughed at my request to find out if I could drink Diet Coke.  :)  "Every once in a while it's okay".

And there you have it!  I feel like a new woman- I am so excited to get started again on my little weight loss path.  Hopefully with my new supplements and a new resolve to avoid sugar, I should begin tightening up and losing again.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!

XO-

D

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've gotten this info, Diz. I bet it makes you a stronger soldier in this fight!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't know that I've heard of an allergy to cane sugar. Hmmm interesting. At least you know what the problem is now and can move forward. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wrong to be allergic to cane sugar! But it makes sense when you put it all together. Ah well, these things happen for a reason (duh!).

    Enjoy the new path to health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok where can I get my test done???? I am totally interested in this now.

    I am so glad you had some light shed on this stuff even though it sucks that one of your true loves (Mr. CS) is your enemy. Oh well, we all have a sweet tooth for the bad guys, don't we? haha

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evil Sugar!! We knew it!!

    Diz-I knew you weren't talking smack on me-you and I are very much the same, just a few pounds apart.

    Love Ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Only you Diz. Wow cane sugar! Now there is a reason why sugar effects you so! I am glad that you at least have some idea of what is going on with your body!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously? This is sooo intriguing. I want to do this testing. I'm so happy for you that you've found some answers - though they are daunting - now they are clear answers. I miss you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for finding out. Sounds like you are back on track and I wish you well with your journey!!

    ReplyDelete