Monday, April 25, 2011

Big Day

Well, I'm definitely growing in the new position.

I am loving my new job so much more than the old one.  It is hard- but I am growing more and more confident every day.  I was driving around today thinking- even though this is really tough sometimes, I am happy.  I love it, so that definitely makes it so much easier.

Today I had to have a difficult conversation with B.  She went with the boss man and did an appointment today that I helped set up last week.  Together we were able to book 4 appointments last week, which the boss said has never been done before; I'm not sure why.  Probably because 3 of them were all booked in the same day (that was when everyone started freaking out- when I called to tell the boss that we booked 3 in one day).  We went to work her area by her house and I just started asking people if they wanted a complimentary facial and it worked; people started booking.  Anyway, I feel like I did the majority of the talking during those appointments, but in an attempt not to be greedy or crazy- I told B that she could have all 3 of them because they are closer to her home and I know she is struggling as much as I am.  I am confident (and was then) that I could book more appts; especially seeing how easy it was to book those three.  Well, she took one of them (the one today) and then said she would "share" the other two.  Really?  I called the boss that night to tell him that we booked those appointments and he said that we needed to quit working together; which I agreed.  He told me that I would become resentful of her if we stayed together, and I can tell that his words are already coming to fruition.

I don't mind that she did that appointment without me today; that's not it.  The boss told her on the way there that maybe we could work together after all; he told her that we could do visits and then if we book appointments- we can alternate who gets to do the appointment.  He told me later when I called him tonight (I talk to him every night basically to give a run down of what happened that day...I feel like he's my mentor) that he said that to her because we did so well last week, that he thought maybe we had some kind of back and forth system going.  He also apologized and said next time he would ask me first before doing that.  Anyway, she texted me after the demo to see if I was game to do this, and I wasn't okay with it.  Because I feel like I did 90% of the talking last week, I feel like I should keep my appointments for myself.  While I know she needs help, at the same time- if she sold that unit today (which there is a strong possibility that the boss sold it for her), she got paid for it and I didn't.  And she isn't sharing the money, so I need to make sure I get paid too.  So I called my mom, freaking out.  She calmed me down and helped me figure out how to say it in a nice way- I finally told her that though i enjoy working with her, I don't know how my schedule is going to look and I don't feel like I should commit to more than once a week or so (to work together).  She was fine with that and I am super grateful because I would never want to hurt her- she is so sweet and nice.  I'm not quite sure she is ready for this kind of job; you have to be assertive and passionate and she is a little timid.  I'm not sure if it's because she's new to this kind of work or if it's because she is just shy by nature.  Either way- I am rooting for her to do well.  I just feel like I need to be on my own for a little while.

My point is- before today, I would've never had the guts to just bite the bullet and tell her without calling the boss first and asking him to do it for me so I don't look like the bad guy.  I am growing!  I am learning. :)

Okay lovies- time for bed.  I started working out with my friend Em again and we are now getting up at 6:30 every morning to lift weights.  Kill me.  I better be HOT this summer!

xo-

D

8 comments:

  1. Well done. I am so glad you stood up for what you felt was fair. She may be the type that will let you do all the heavy lifting (pun intended) and then she reaps the benefits. If she is shy, she will be comfortable letting you continue to carry her. I am also glad that you were tactful and professional doing so. It's not personal, it's business. We fat people have been taken advantage of enough. We have wanted friendships so badly we were willing to be a door mat. No more. It would be better to work with her from the point of consulting with each other and helping each other develop the people skills but not doing it for her. You could videotape some role playing and watch yourselves so as to get better. Give each other advice about appearance and such. You are making this work - you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Diz! And congrats because she needs to grow on her own and cannot do that with you. And you need to build your business first. You are going to be amazing! Congrats and keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, dizzy. I know this is a stressful time, learning and getting used to a new job. I think you handled the situation very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You handled that situation like a real PRO!! I am so proud of you Dizzy-I see you changing before our eyes.

    (Sorry I haven't comment much lately-I still read every day. And why wouldn't I? You are awesome woman!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to handle the situation! Good for you. And up at 6:30 to work out - awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. See? Did I totally tell you that you would rock whatever came your way? And honestly - think about the service you did her? How? Well by staying with her as a sidekick - she would never grow and learn. She'd just reap the financial rewards off of you but never blossom - like you are. She deserves that just like you do. But you can't make her career for her - especially when you're busy making your own. She'll be fine. You'll be stellar. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I must be an awful person because if I was doing all of the work and someone else got credit/paid for it I would be bitching up a storm and everyone would know my wrath! haha

    I am glad you had the courage to set things straight. Good for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete