Friday, December 10, 2010

The Update.

In honor of Miss S....I am writing another post.  An update.  With Pics. :)

Where do I begin?  The night was nice...not what I was expecting, but it turned out very nice in the end to me.  Last night was a dose of reality; instead of being whisked away to a magical Christmas party, I found out what it's really like to be with someone of "stature".  37 is the CEO of his company.  That means we had to leave early to be the first ones there, we had to stay late and be the last ones there, and do a LOT of work in between.

When I got to 37's place (he's my neighbor- so I literally walked next door), he was whirling around his apartment like a tornado.  First of all, I was 20 minutes late; I wasn't watching the time and it went by faster than I thought it would.  But before I could even apologize, I realized that he was so swamped with things that it didn't even matter- we weren't leaving quite yet.  His phone was blowing up and he had to keep answering it.  His tie was around his neck (not tied, just hanging there), his shirt half unbuttoned still, and he was sweating on his forehead a little.  He had cookies in the kitchen he was trying to bag- one by one in these little plastic see thru baggies.  The fans were all on- all the windows were open (it was freezing- did I mention that?), all his lights were on, and he wasn't done getting dressed.  Immediately I asked him what I could do to help.  "You know how to make those twirly ribbons with scissors?"  He asked as he rushed by me to grab his shoes.  "Yes, of course I know how to do that" I said.  "Can you make those on these bags of cookies for me?"  So I tied all the baggies and used the scissors to curl the ribbon.  There were only like...100 bags.  About half way through, we had to move it to the car because his phone kept blowing up and we now had to go to the local grocer to pick up 10 poinsetta's for the table centerpieces since there weren't enough original centerpieces from Ikea.  I sat in the truck curling ribbon while he ran into the store and got the poinsetta's.  When he hopped back in the truck, he realized his tie still was still hanging around his neck.

When we got there, he went into whirlwind mode again and I went to park the truck.  Once I was inside he put his hand on the small of my back and started introducing me to his employees.  One by one I met each employee, smiled huge and shook their hands, met their spouses and children, shook their hands too, and made small talk.  I smiled and cupped their hands in mine; I remembered names.  I don't know how I did it- but I remembered at least 30 names last night (I'm a ROCKSTAR!!)  I talked to the mothers about their children's play groups and talked to husbands out their wives jobs working for 37.  I talked about beauty school and what I do.  I answered questions about how 37 and I met, while he was off meeting more family members and making sure the DJ knew what music to play. (Have I ever mentioned that I have social anxiety?  That's why this was such a big deal for me- 37 was NOT there holding my hand- he was busy.  I was being a big girl and talking to people all by myself)  I didn't even see him again until we sat down for dinner.

Overall, I would say I spent about 80% of the dinner without him too.  He came and ate as quickly as he could, apologizing the whole time and telling me he'd make it up to me (because he thought the food was horrific and he was embarrassed), and then he was off again to make the announcements, reward his employees with Christmas gifts, do the raffle, introduce the new employee uniforms, etc etc etc.  Meanwhile I dutifully watched over his planner and his cell phone and clapped politely from our table with some of his staff I didn't know.

When the dinner was coming to a close, he finally came and grabbed me.  "Are you ready to go?  Are you tired?  You're tired.  You're ready to go. " he was looking at the dance floor, but he was backing towards the exit.  I wanted so badly to leave, but I knew he didn't.  There were about 20 people on the dance floor and the DJ was playing something crazy.  "37, it's your party.  What do you want to do?"  He looked at the dance floor again.  "Let's DANCE!"

We danced.  We danced and danced and danced with his staff until the crappy DJ cleared the dance floor with some hard core rap that no one knew how to dance to.  He was having so much fun on the dance floor.

When we got into the truck, he turned to me.  "Diz, you don't know how much it meant to me tonight- all of your help.  I know it was a crappy night; you thought you would be coming here for a nice night and instead I bombard you with work and then leave you with awful food.  I'm so sorry.  You were wonderful. How can I ever show you how wonderful you are?  I don't know if I can repay what you did for me tonight.  Should we go get dessert?"  I looked at the clock; it was 11 pm.  "Sure" (we're both sugar free- so I knew whatever we chose would be something I could have).

So we drove.  We went to 3 different places before we finally gave up and ended up at the grocery store- getting a half gallon of sugar free ice cream (Dreyer's Slow Churned Sugar Free Fudge Tracks with Splenda. HEAVEN!).  We went back to his place, curled up on the couch, and talked and talked for another hour or so while we spooned our ice cream out of the tub.  Luckily since I live next door, I was able to run home and put on sweats. :)

I don't know how or why, but that last hour seriously made up for the whole night to me.  Maybe because it was my personal time with him- he wasn't the CEO anymore.  I was the one that got to cuddle up with him on the couch and talk about politics and Nepal and his family.  He was interested in what I had to say; he kept touching me and asking me questions about what I thought.  The next thing I know- it was like the floodgates were opened; I was telling him what I thought about everything and everyone.  He would laugh at my jokes and ask more questions as he scooped his ice cream.  For some reason- it was seriously one of the best moments I've had in MONTHS with a guy.  I don't know how to describe that time- I just really felt like we connected.  I helped him get everything done and wasn't needy at the party; and in turn, he was able to pay attention to just me once we were home.  And I mean- really pay attention to me and laugh with me.

Around 12:45, I noticed that he was having a hard time keeping his eyes open; he was exhausted, so I told him I was going home.  Even though I live next door- he insisted on walking me to my door.  For the 100th time, he thanked me for making his night so wonderful and for helping him.  I told him, for the 101st time, that it wasn't a big deal.  He stopped in  front of my door and turned to me and looked me square in the face.  "It was though Diz.  It was a big deal to me."  And then he hugged me (NO KISS! WHAT???); a nice warm, long hug.  I came in the house ecstatic, before I crashed into my own bed, exhausted myself.




  1. Sounds lovely, Dizzy. I'm happy you had a good time. Snuggling on the couch with someone comfortable is a favorite thing of mine.

  2. Sounds wonderful! Glad it all made up for it in the end! 37 sounds pretty great! The start of something awesome!

    You look great by the way!

  3. Hi, Diz. That dress is beautiful--so becoming on you. Great choice. ANd your hair is pretty, too. :D

    Now, just so I can totally live thru you, what jewelry did you wear?

    It sounds like you were a wonderful date for 37--and it sounds like you were rewarded for that. Nice time. Great job.


  4. What a night! You would make any man proud to have you as his partner. And busting through the social anxiety barrier is huge. I am guessing we'll be hearing more about Mr. Neighbor-if he knows what's good for him. heh

    You better show the love guru neighbor your hottie pictures. ;D

  5. Dreamy - just dreamy. Love it!

  6. That actually sounds like an amazing evening... in retrospect :) And the last bit sounds awesome no matter how you look at it.

    Beautiful dress :)

  7. What a nice story to read and a very promising ending, yeah you!

  8. you are sooooo BEAUTIFUL! Glad you had a great time. Have a lot of catching up to do on the blog land. :)

  9. Lookin great girl! So happy for you! Love the dress, love the hair, love the blog! you rock!